{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreihfkp5edfpjympyvg5gf75yfvhcr3sro5shslmo6i4nyw2anbden4",
"uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mk6aaftbkcv2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreibn756ei6h7fsy3iqcqeacwdpqqw6xzb5re45wq4oq5ibxaq7wway"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 77953
},
"path": "/2026/04/23/asylum-seekers-found-guilty-raping-a-woman-a-beach-callous-attack-28090823/",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-23T13:45:06.000Z",
"site": "https://metro.co.uk",
"tags": [
"News",
"UK",
"Brighton",
"Crime News",
"This is Not Right",
"West Sussex",
"supports HTML5\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tvideo",
"here",
"Introducing This Is Not Right: Metro's year-long violence against women campaign",
"Remembering the women killed by men in 2024",
"drinks",
"check our news page",
"Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
],
"textContent": "The men have been convicted following a five-week trial at Hove Crown Court. Pictured left is Alshafe, right is Danasurt, inset is Alshafe, Danasurt and Ahmadi (Picture: Eddie Mitchell)\n\nThree men have been found guilty of raping a woman on a beach in Brighton after she became separated from her friends on a night out.\n\nAsylum seekers Ibrahim Alshafe, 25, Abdulla Ahmadi, 26, and Karin Al-Danasurt, 20, attacked the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, in the early hours of October 4 last year.\n\nDuring a trial at Hove Crown Court, prosecutors said Alshafe and Ahmadi repeatedly raped the woman while Al-Danasurt filmed the attack.\n\nAll three men knew each other and lived at the same Home Office-approved asylum seeker accommodation in Horsham, West Sussex, jurors were told.\n\nAlshafe and Ahmadi both entered the UK via small boat on June 19, 2025, three months before the alleged rapes, the court heard.\n\nAl-Danasurt entered the country on October 11, 2024.\n\nProsecutor Hanna Llewellyn-Waters told jurors the complainant was intoxicated at the time and ‘to all intents and purposes, incapacitated’.\n\nDuring the trial, the victim told the court she remembered being given drinks by an Asian man, before being sick in the toilet.\n\nShe then said she woke up on the beach and feared she was going to die.\n\nTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tvideo\n\nUp Next\n\nPrevious Page\n\nNext Page\n\nFootage shown to jurors shows Alshafe smiling and sticking his tongue out during the attack, as well as slapping the woman in the face.\n\n## This Is Not Right\n\nOn November 25, 2024 **Metro** launched This Is Not Right, a campaign to address the relentless epidemic of violence against women.\n\nWith the help of our partners at Women's Aid, This Is Not Right aims to shine a light on the sheer scale of this national emergency.\n\nYou can find more articles **here** , and if you want to share your story with us, you can send us an email at **vaw@metro.co.uk**.\n\n**Read more:**\n\n * Introducing This Is Not Right: Metro's year-long violence against women campaign\n * Remembering the women killed by men in 2024\n\n\n\nHe and Ahmadi had claimed during the trial the encounter was consensual and that she had approached them along the seafront, kissed and touched them both, said something about sex and took them both to the beach.\n\nAl-Danasurt, who claimed to jurors he tried to stop the attack by filming it, also denied he spat in the woman’s mouth and called her a ‘dirty bitch.’\n\nThe woman previously told the court the attack was not consensual, telling the court: ‘I was begging them to stop, and they wouldn’t stop, and I kept saying please stop … and they was laughing at me, and they thought it was funny.’\n\nThe alleged victim wept as she told jurors: ‘It wasn’t consensual at all, they (the defendants) ruined my life, they literally ruined my whole life, every day it bothers me, every day I can’t sleep.\n\n‘Every day I do get to sleep, when I do close my eyes, if it’s not one of their faces it’s (the sound of) the seagulls or the waves, and they’re tormenting me.’\n\nShe said she had been at a bar with friends until around 3am before going to a nightclub near the beach, the court heard.\n\n‘I remember taking drinks off this Asian man but then I remember being on my hands and knees in the toilet being sick…’ the alleged victim said. ‘After that I don’t remember anything.’\n\nProsecutors said the three defendants approached the complainant when she was ‘staggering in the street’ alone before attacking her on a beach.\n\nLlewellyn-Waters had told jurors: ‘Frankly, to these defendants, the complainant was meat.\n\nThe trio got ready at the hotel before getting the bus into Brighton on the night of October 3 (Picture: Sussex Police)\n\n‘She was repeatedly abused for their sexual gratification and entertainment.\n\n‘They wanted sex and that could be achieved by being with someone who was in no state to resist them.’\n\nShe said the woman told police she recalled being spat on, kicked, and her throat being grabbed during the attack, as well as men laughing.\n\nThe court also heard minutes after leaving the men, the woman spoke to her friends and was described as “wailing and hysterical saying she has been raped”.\n\nDNA samples were taken from all three defendants, and DNA from both Alshafe and Ahmadi matched with samples taken from the complainant’s body during a forensic medical examination, while Al-Danasurt’s was inconclusive.\n\nAt the time of the incident, all three defendants knew each other and were living at Home Office-approved hotel accommodation for asylum seekers near Horsham, West Sussex.\n\nThe court heard Ahmadi and Alshafe met each other on a small boat from France arriving in the UK on June 19 2025, while Alshafe and Al-Danasurt were roommates at the hotel.\n\nAl-Danasurt arrived in the UK on September 21, 2024.\n\nJurors heard Alshafe’s asylum application had been refused on October 3, but he told the court he did not know about the update to his case before going to Brighton that night.\n\nAhmadi left the hotel the day after the rape and moved to an address in Crewe, Cheshire, where he was arrested on October 12, the court heard.\n\nThe move had not been approved by the Home Office and Ahmadi had been marked as “absconding, self-departing” from the accommodation.\n\nOn October 13, Alshafe and Al-Danasurt, both of Lower Beeding, near Horsham, were arrested by police at their hotel.\n\nThe men each denied two counts of raping her, but today were convicted at the Crown Court following a trial.\n\nEgyptian national Alshafe and Iranian national Ahmadi were both found guilty of two counts of rape by jurors on Thursday.\n\nEgyptian Al-Danasurt was also found guilty of all four counts of rape as a secondary party by encouraging and filming the ordeal.\n\nJurors returned their verdicts in the five-week trial after more than 12 hours of deliberation.\n\nA further count of ‘sharing intimate films’ without the complainant’s consent which Al-Danasurt faced was withdrawn on Thursday April 23 after it was established the offence can only be tried in a magistrates’ court.\n\n******Get in touch with our news team by emailing us atwebnews@metro.co.uk.******\n\n**For more stories like this,** check our news page.\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
"title": "Asylum seekers found guilty of raping a woman on a beach in ‘callous attack’"
}