{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreiaqa72p62fjbn5jrtw4n4qtkazdgkfoho7vvslspl3z3oy7cvlpsy",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mjqz67yjv3q2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreiglyyjagfbokqbw3zuu5iurgzpcexa5hehyntxzcztepgfhxz5njm"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 52479
  },
  "path": "/2026/04/18/donald-trump-threatens-iran-ceasefire-ultimatum-strait-hormuz-reopens-28021229/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-18T08:23:01.000Z",
  "site": "https://metro.co.uk",
  "tags": [
    "News",
    "US",
    "Donald Trump",
    "Iran",
    "Iran war",
    "supports HTML5\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tvideo",
    "Tehran",
    "Lebanon",
    "Israel",
    "check our news page",
    "Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
  ],
  "textContent": "To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tvideo\n\nUp Next\n\nPrevious Page\n\nNext Page\n\nDonald Trump has hinted that he might not extend the temporary ceasefire with Iran if the negotiations for a long-term deal fail.\n\nThe US president has been sending mixed signals about the war as he expressed confidence earlier that the sides would wrap up a deal.\n\nHe then threatened to end the ceasefire on Wednesday unless a long-term solution to end the war is found.\n\nSpeaking on board Air Force One, Trump said: ‘Maybe ⁠I won’t ‌extend it, but the blockade is going to remain.\n\nTrump has been sending mixed messages about the next steps in the Iran war, saying that he might not extend the ceasefire while he also has some ‘good news’ to come (Picture: Getty Images)\n\n‘So you have ‌a blockade [of Strait of Hormuz], ​and unfortunately ‌we ⁠have to start ⁠dropping bombs again.’\n\nThe high-stakes peace talks between the US and Iran are rumoured to continue on Monday, although officials have been tight-lipped about a schedule.\n\nBut he also said that negotiations would take place over the weekend and that he has ‘some good news’ he cannot share more about yet.\n\nIt appears that traffic through the troubled Strait of Hormuz has picked up, with several ships passing through it this morning (Picture: Marine Traffic)\n\nIt comes after the stalemate over the Strait of Hormuz might be getting closer to being resolved.\n\nWhile the US continues to blockade Iranian ports, both Tehran and Washington have insisted that the key oil passage is open to commercial vessels.\n\nShipping data is beginning to show that some vessels have moved through the passage despite some uncertainty.\n\nLebanon and Israel have agreed on a temporary 10-day ceasefire of their own (Picture: Anadolu/Getty Images)\n\nHowever, Iran’s parliamentary speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf said on X that as long as US blockade of Iran’s ports continued ‘the Strait of Hormuz will not remain open.’\n\nThe key oil passage has been effectively closed since the US-Israeli airstrikes against Iran, sending fuel prices through the roof.\n\nYesterday, Trump lashed out at his NATO allies again after the Strait was declared reopened, saying they can ‘stay away’ from the region.\n\nHe wrote on his Truth Social platform: ‘Now that the Hormuz Strait situation is over, I received a call from NATO asking if we would need some help.\n\n‘I TOLD THEM TO STAY AWAY, UNLESS THEY JUST WANT TO LOAD UP THEIR SHIPS WITH OIL.\n\n‘They were useless when needed, a Paper Tiger!’\n\nLebanon and Israel have agreed on a 10-day ceasefire so that negotiations for a more permanent peace can happen, Trump announced.\n\nThe truce came into force at 9pm on Thursday, with crowds celebrating on the streets across Lebanon after weeks of bombardment by the Israeli forces.\n\n******Get in touch with our news team by emailing us atwebnews@metro.co.uk.******\n\n**For more stories like this,** check our news page.\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
  "title": "Donald Trump threatens Iran with ceasefire ultimatum while Strait of Hormuz reopens"
}