{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreif3bchjjeb2dnfdvki3r6d5a3ybsbymlylwinem2u7zbbnirnhxge",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mjpk7g2mfoa2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreighhzd6figrb64pvuufcbnv7z7et7qxefm5y4plnhnijmfhlo36mi"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 108076
  },
  "path": "/2026/04/17/man-forced-pay-357-disgraceful-delays-london-stansted-left-passengers-stranded-28013380/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-04-17T16:27:36.000Z",
  "site": "https://metro.co.uk",
  "tags": [
    "Lifestyle",
    "Travel",
    "Flights",
    "London",
    "Stansted Airport",
    "Travel News",
    "hundreds to miss flights",
    "easyJet",
    "Edinburgh",
    "Waymo's robotaxis are now driving themselves around London",
    "Tourist creates world's first pickpocket map after a trip to London",
    "Londoners brace for Tube strikes next week on every Underground route",
    "London news hub",
    "the queues on Thursday",
    "Dublin",
    "Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
  ],
  "textContent": "People on the scene described a ‘total lack of communication’ (Picture: Metro)\n\nA man has been left hundreds of pounds out of pocket after queues at Stansted Airport led hundreds to miss flights.\n\nBarry Young said he had no choice but to pay £389 for accommodation, transfers and a new flight after he missed the easyJet flight that was due to take him from London to Edinburgh — because he was stuck in the queue for security.\n\nThe 45-year-old from Edinburgh told **Metro** : ‘Something seriously needs to be done to hold airports accountable for what is, frankly, a disgraceful level of service.\n\n‘Airports know well in advance how many passengers are expected, so there’s no excuse for not staffing appropriately.’\n\nQueues of more than two hours built at Stansted Airport on Thursday night (Picture: Metro)\n\nMr Young, who asked not to be pictured, was booked to fly on the 9.35pm flight from Stansted to Edinburgh.\n\nHe said he arrived at the airport at 7.30pm, from London Liverpool Street, allowing more than the recommended two hours of time before his flight.\n\nSeeing that security was already ‘heavily backed up’, he tried to pay for fast track on his phone but found it was unavailable. Staff confirmed it had been closed for the day.\n\nAfter waiting another 45 minutes, Mr Young said it became clear there was no chance that he would make his flight ‘with hundreds still ahead’.\n\nWhile he understands that easyJet has no liability in this situation, he said Stansted must do more for passengers.\n\n‘What’s especially frustrating is the lack of accountability. Due to airport inadequacy, it’s leaving passengers to deal with the consequences alone.\n\n‘I’m currently on the bus to Edinburgh as I write this, completely fed up. At a minimum, core infrastructure like airport security should function properly for the public.\n\n‘Stansted clearly isn’t meeting that standard.’\n\n##  Latest London news\n\n  * Waymo's robotaxis are now driving themselves around London\n  * Tourist creates world's first pickpocket map after a trip to London\n  * Londoners brace for Tube strikes next week on every Underground route\n\n\n\n_**To get the latest news from the capital, visit Metro's** London news hub._\n\n##  Full breakdown of Barry's expenses\n\n– Hotel near King’s Cross: £90\n– Stansted Express back to London: £21\n– Next day Train from King’s Cross to Edinburgh: £89 (cancelled and refunded due to a trespasser)\n– New British Airways flight from Gatwick to Glasgow: £200\n– Train from King’s Cross to Gatwick: £18\n– Bus from Glasgow Airport to Glasgow city centre: £11\n– Bus from Glasgow to Edinburgh: £17\n\n**Total:** £357\n\nMr Young is sure that lots of people were left in a ‘very difficult financial situation’ by the situation.\n\nA spokesperson for Stansted Airport told **Metro** : ‘Any passenger who feels that didn’t receive the appropriate level of service when using the airport should contact us via the usual feedback channels so we can look into their airport journey and experience.\n\n‘Once again, we apologise to passengers for any inconvenient and delays they may have experienced at security on Thursday evening.’\n\nAirports are responsible for ensuring safety, security, and infrastructure functionality, rather than guaranteed flight times, which are generally the responsibility of airlines.\n\nHowever, other passengers affected by the queues on Thursday told **Metro** that just two of the 11 security scanners were open while the crowd watched on.\n\nNo announcements were made by the airport to explain what was causing the delay, according to passengers.\n\nA man who was due to travel on the 10pm flight to Dublin told **Metro** : ‘There’s a total lack of staff. There are women with babies in buggies and prams who don’t know if they’re going to have to sleep in the airport tonight.’\n\n‘People are here in the queue having to watch FlightRadar to see if their flight has taken off, it’s just a total lack of communication.’\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
  "title": "Man forced to pay £357 after ‘disgraceful’ delays at London Stansted left passengers stranded"
}