{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreig7tdt4ufsrndm2vwgggnq6zd5n2id3dwxmhveox37p6pqugf4bay",
"uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mjmzmvnc4722"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreifcphnwaumzg7glb2rahn24y2ykct526gk7d7py5sgu3wfyoyz6v4"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 59858
},
"path": "/2026/04/16/trump-says-lets-get-done-israel-lebanon-agree-10-day-ceasefire-28002623/",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-16T16:18:38.000Z",
"site": "https://metro.co.uk",
"tags": [
"News",
"World",
"Donald Trump",
"Iran war",
"Israel",
"Lebanon",
"Iran",
"News Updates",
"Breaking News",
"killed at least 2,196 people in Lebanon",
"Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
],
"textContent": "People cross on foot the Qasmieh bridge, the last bridge between the southern Lebanese cities of Tyre and Sidon regions, after it was targeted by an Israeli airstrike on April16 (Picture: AFP)\n\nDonald Trump is boasting that he is close to ending his tenth war after Israel and Lebanon agreed on a 10-day ceasefire.\n\nThe move is a first step towards a peace deal for Trump’s war in Iran and comes into effect at 5pm EST (10pm GMT).\n\nThe war has jolted markets and rattled the global economy as shipping has been cut off and airstrikes have pounded military and civilian infrastructure.\n\nBut the US President announced on Truth Social: ‘I just had excellent conversations with the Highly Respected President Joseph Aoun, of Lebanon, and Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu, of Israel.\n\n‘These two Leaders have agreed that in order to achieve PEACE between their Countries, they will formally begin a 10 Day CEASEFIRE at 5 P.M. EST. On Tuesday, the two Countries met for the first time in 34 years here in Washington, D.C., with our Great Secretary of State, Marco Rubio.\n\nHe said he wanted a ‘lasting peace’ between the nations, adding: ‘It has been my Honor to solve 9 Wars across the World, and this will be my 10th, so let’s, GET IT DONE! President DONALD J. TRUMP’.\n\n## Sign up for all of the latest stories\n\nStart your day informed with Metro's **News Updates** newsletter or get **Breaking News** alerts the moment it happens.\n\nDonald Trump wants to end his tenth war, according to another humble brag (Picture: EPA)\n\nThere is anger and embarrassment in Israel as Trump unexpectedly announced the ceasefire in Lebanon before the cabinet got to vote, according to Channel 12.\n\nIsraeli forces are still on the ground in Lebanon, and even after Trump’s announcement, carried out a deadly strike on the town of Ghaziyeh killing at least eight civilians with more missing under the rubble.\n\n## Israel and Lebanon\n\nIsrael and Lebanon have technically been at war since Israel was established in 1948, and Lebanon remains deeply divided over diplomatic engagement with Israel.\n\nLebanon and Israel signed an agreement in 1983 saying Lebanon would formally recognise Israel, and Israel would withdraw from Lebanon. The deal fell apart during Lebanon’s civil war and was formally rescinded a year later.\n\nBut the deaths have multiplied after skirmishes mainly between Hezbollah and Israel, sparked by the October 7 attacks.\n\nAn Israeli strike that targeted the village of Kfar Tibnit on April 16\n\nIsraeli troops pushed deeper into southern Lebanon to create what officials have called a ‘security zone,’ which Netanyahu has said will extend at least 6 miles into Lebanon.\n\nSince October 7, Israeli strikes have killed at least 2,196 people in Lebanon among them 252 women, 166 children and 88 medical workers.\n\nMore than one million people have been displaced.\n\nIran-backed Hezbollah, weakened after its last war with Israel that ended in November 2024, had been firing drones, rockets and artillery daily into northern Israel and on ground troops inside Lebanon.\n\nLebanon’s Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said the ceasefire was his country’s first goal in landmark talks that took place with Israel in Washington on Tuesday between the country’s ambassadors to the U.S.\n\n‘While I congratulate all Lebanese on this achievement, I offer my condolences to the families of the martyrs who fell, and I affirm my solidarity with their families, with the wounded, and with the citizens forced to flee their cities and villages,’ Salam said.\n\nHezbollah lawmaker Ibrahim al-Moussawi said that the Lebanese militants will respect a ceasefire if Israeli attacks stop.\n\n‘We in Hezbollah will cautiously adhere to the ceasefire on the condition that it is a comprehensive halt to hostilities against us and that Israel not use it to carry out any assassinations,’ he says.\n\n‘We express thanks to Iran for having applied pressure in Lebanon’s favour,’ he says, adding that ‘the ceasefire would not have happened without Iran considering the ceasefire as equal to closing the Strait of Hormuz.’\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
"title": "Trump says ‘let’s get it done’ after Israel and Lebanon agree 10-day ceasefire"
}