{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreihmicymjv7p33gn34tyqvndk4oibv6aq337fboavzpthcj7b6h6rq",
"uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mjfv7wucvna2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreif3svwb7p6pamfiuobsq42a272pcicaq7tytctumxwnqare3n5eqq"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 57074
},
"path": "/2026/04/13/games-lisandro-martinez-will-miss-man-utd-red-card-vs-leeds-27964769/",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-13T21:46:31.000Z",
"site": "https://metro.co.uk",
"tags": [
"Football",
"Sport",
"Leeds United",
"Lisandro Martinez",
"Manchester United",
"Michael Carrick",
"Premier League",
"United fell to a 2-1 defeat to their old rivals",
"Old Trafford",
"Champions League",
"Leny Yoro",
"Dominic Calvert-Lewin",
"Sign up to our daily football newsletter",
"Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
],
"textContent": "Martinez was shown a straight red for violent conduct (Picture: Getty)\n\nLisandro Martinez will sit out of Manchester United’s next three matches after his red card against Leeds United.\n\nUnited fell to a 2-1 defeat to their old rivals at Old Trafford on Monday night, missing the chance to tighten their grip on third spot in the battle for Champions League qualification.\n\nMartinez returned to the starting XI to partner Leny Yoro at the back having missed his side’s last five games with a calf injury.\n\nBut the Argentina international was sent off just before the hour mark.\n\nMartinez was judged to have pulled Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s hair as they battled for an aerial ball.\n\nWhile the incident was not picked up in real time, VAR John Brooks advised match official Paul Tierney to review the incident with the red card emerging shortly after.\n\nPremier League Match Centre confirmed Martinez was sent off for violent conduct which will earn Martinez a three-match ban.\n\n## Get personalised football updates every day\n\nSign up to our daily football newsletter and choose your team to get the latest news, rumours and more about your favourite team.\n\nPaul Tierney was told to review the incident (Picture: Getty Images)\n\nIt immediately rules the defender out of Saturday’s game against Chelsea – a vital game in the battle for Champions League qualification.\n\nMartinez will also miss key home games against Brentford and the visit of Liverpool on 3 May.\n\nUnited boss Michael Carrick was fuming with the decision, furious Leeds’ opening goal was allowed to stand as Calvert-Lewin and Leny Yoro tangled before Noah Okafor slotted home the opener.\n\nIt was United’s second red card in as many games with Harry Maguire dismissed in the 2-2 draw with Bournemouth last month.\n\nMartinez was stunned with the decision (Picture: Carl Recine/Getty Images)\n\n‘We didn’t start the game particularly well. We conceded, which came after Leny Yoro got a forearm smash in the back of his head,’ Carrick told Sky Sports.\n\n‘They didn’t decide to overturn that, which was a big moment in the game. We didn’t quite have the rhythm, we didn’t click. We had some moments but it wasn’t there for large parts of the half.\n\n‘I thought the boys stayed positive and fought for everything in the second half, after a shocking decision to send Licha [Martinez] off.\n\n‘That’s two games in a row we’ve had those decisions go against us, but that one was one of the worst I’ve seen.’\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
"title": "The games Lisandro Martinez will miss for Man Utd after red card vs Leeds"
}