{
"$type": "site.standard.document",
"bskyPostRef": {
"cid": "bafyreigcjzfgv4zaqn4taehetoqjpycjt42mkyyh2z4okrwkstasnv5c6e",
"uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3miqb5g3bxcp2"
},
"coverImage": {
"$type": "blob",
"ref": {
"$link": "bafkreiegfpds5wrlmv7r7rqqtdd7e426cidrwsednsbpc3bw64gxbplcce"
},
"mimeType": "image/jpeg",
"size": 37941
},
"path": "/2026/04/05/us-fighter-jet-crew-member-rescued-shot-iran-trump-says-27859582/",
"publishedAt": "2026-04-05T06:46:27.000Z",
"site": "https://metro.co.uk",
"tags": [
"News",
"US",
"Donald Trump",
"Iran",
"Iran war",
"US Politics",
"social media",
"nerve-shredding race against time",
"BBC News",
"Operation Epic Fury",
"check our news page",
"Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
],
"textContent": "The two crewmen were shot down on Friday (Picture: US Air Force/AFP via Getty Images)\n\nThe second of two crew members who were in a fighter jet shot down in Iran on Friday has been rescued, Donald Trump said in a social media post.\n\nA nerve-shredding race against time kicked off following news the plane had come down in enemy territory, with the US military straining to reach the missing men before the Iranians could capture them.\n\nIn his post on Truth Social this morning, the president confirmed reports that the pilot of the F-15E jet had been saved by US troops on Saturday.\n\nThe second member of the crew – thought to be a weapons system officer – was tracked down in a search-and-rescue mission lasting several hours, Trump wrote.\n\nIt involved ‘dozens of planes, armed with the most lethal weapons in the world’, he said, adding that the airman had sustained injuries ‘but he will be just fine’.\n\nThe post continued: ‘This is the first time in military memory that two U.S. Pilots have been rescued, separately, deep in Enemy Territory.\n\n‘WE WILL NEVER LEAVE AN AMERICAN WARFIGHTER BEHIND!’\n\nBBC News reported there was engagement between US and Iranian forces during the rescue mission.\n\nIran was believed to be offering a prize over $60,000 (£45,000) for anyone who captures the missing crew member.\n\nThe anchor on the channel in Iran’s Kohkilouyeh and Boyer-Ahmad province told viewers: ‘If you capture the enemy pilot or pilots alive and hand them over to the police, you will receive a precious prize.’\n\nDespite the apparent success of the search-and-rescue mission, the initial incident threatened to be a major embarrassment for the US military.\n\nIt marked the first time a US jet has been downed by enemy fire since the start of Operation Epic Fury at the end of February, and came after Donald Trump said Iran had been ‘completely decimated’.\n\n******Get in touch with our news team by emailing us atwebnews@metro.co.uk.******\n\n**For more stories like this,** check our news page.\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
"title": "US fighter jet crew member rescued after being shot down in Iran, Trump says"
}