{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreih5zlls763em6khj7ww5i7i4mkvanh2vt2zfhileoembfvn6owjum",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3miebxmre7k72"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreihfxhlqdgdk3ijuzl2qid3zzxjsn33sugsac2tk4afhbms4jdouoe"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 70594
  },
  "path": "/2026/03/31/rapper-whose-xl-bully-mauled-gran-death-sentenced-10-years-prison-27784986/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-03-31T12:55:17.000Z",
  "site": "https://metro.co.uk",
  "tags": [
    "News",
    "UK",
    "Crime News",
    "Dog attacks",
    "Dogs",
    "Essex",
    "Essex Police",
    "supports HTML5\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tvideo",
    "London",
    "England",
    "Wales",
    "News Updates",
    "Breaking News",
    "Surrey",
    "Jaywick",
    "check our news page",
    "Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source"
  ],
  "textContent": "To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tvideo\n\nUp Next\n\nPrevious Page\n\nNext Page\n\nAn aspiring rapper has been jailed for 10 years and three months after he was found guilty of owning one of two XL bully dogs that mauled a pensioner to death.\n\nProsecutors said Ashley Warren asked 5ft 3in Esther Martin to mind two XL bully dogs at his then home in Jaywick, Essex, so he could travel to London to film a music video.\n\nThe two animals fatally attacked Ms Martin, 68, on February 3 2024, two days after a ban on the breed came into force on February 1 2024.\n\nThe law makes it a criminal offence to own or possess an XL bully dog in England and Wales without a certificate of exemption.\n\nEsther Martin, 68, was looking after the two dogs when she was attacked in February 2024 (Picture: Essex Police/PA Wire)\n\n##  Sign up for all of the latest stories\n\nStart your day informed with Metro's **News Updates** newsletter or get **Breaking News** alerts the moment it happens.\n\nMr Paxton told jurors: ‘It was, you may think, a tragedy waiting to happen, given the imbalance that arose between 68-year-old Esther, short in stature, and the towering power of these banned XL bully dogs’ (Credits: Essex Police/PA Wire)\n\nWarren, 41, was found guilty following an earlier trial of being the owner of a dog named Bear, which caused injury resulting in death while dangerously out of control in a private place.\n\nHe was acquitted at Chelmsford Crown Court of being a person in charge of a dog named Beauty – a dog which belonged to his girlfriend – which did the same.\n\nWarren, now of Addlestone, Surrey, was sentenced at the same court on Tuesday.\n\nHis earlier trial was told that he left Ms Martin with the two dogs and eight puppies of the same breed at his then home in Hillman Avenue in Jaywick.\n\nProsecutor Christopher Paxton KC said this was despite Ms Martin’s mobility issues, lack of dog training and ‘little to no experience’ of being left alone with them for a prolonged period of time.\n\nHours after her arrival, Ms Martin sustained ‘dozens and dozens’ of injuries, including a bite through the tissue of her arm and a ‘complete fracturing’ of the bone, the court heard.\n\nAshley Warren speaking to officers during an earlier, unrelated, attendance at his property\nEssex police (Picture: Essex Police)\n\nWarren, 41, was found guilty following an earlier trial of being the owner of a dog named Bear (Credits: Essex Police/PA Wire)\n\nTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tvideo\n\nUp Next\n\nPrevious Page\n\nNext Page\n\nMr Paxton told jurors: ‘It was, you may think, a tragedy waiting to happen, given the imbalance that arose between 68-year-old Esther, short in stature, and the towering power of these banned XL bully dogs.’\n\nPolice had been to the property about an unrelated matter 11 days before the attack, and a video recording, played to jurors, showed Warren telling the officer ‘it’s a shame about the laws’ and ‘my boy’s got papers already’.\n\nMr Paxton said: ‘If that was a reference to an exemption certificate, that was a lie.’\n\nWarren accepted in court that he did not hold exemption certificates and had not applied for any.\n\nThe defendant was also found guilty of having a bladed article without good reason or lawful authority at Clacton railway station on February 3 2024, after officers found a knife which he said was a prop in a music video he had been making that day in London.\n\n******Get in touch with our news team by emailing us atwebnews@metro.co.uk.******\n\n**For more stories like this,** check our news page.\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
  "title": "Rapper whose XL bully mauled gran to death is sentenced to 10 years in prison"
}