{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreibxwvxfuwgayxrj55b724rxb5xyyvfm2w4kefizitnwrjpkc5bfu4",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mie376gf7h52"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreihlfxrohzvv5z244ugro54xyzcnpqufjh36fuyvraynu3trudvm3q"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 120231
  },
  "path": "/2026/03/31/tories-held-a-muslim-iftar-event-weeks-nick-timothys-act-domination-tweet-27780877/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-03-31T11:08:29.000Z",
  "site": "https://metro.co.uk",
  "tags": [
    "News",
    "Politics",
    "Conservative Party",
    "Kemi Badenoch",
    "Muslim",
    "Ramadan",
    "Sadiq Khan",
    "Sir Keir Starmer",
    "London",
    "here",
    "Turkey",
    "India",
    "Labour Party",
    "Reform",
    "check our news page",
    "Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source",
    "@CFT_UK"
  ],
  "textContent": "The Conservatives hosted the iftar event weeks before Nick Timothy criticised an iftar gathering in Trafalgar Square ‘straight out of the Islamist playbook’\n\nThe Conservative Party hosted an ‘inclusive’ iftar event just weeks before a Tory shadow minister called the same celebration in central London an ‘act of domination’, Metro can reveal.\n\nNick Timothy sparked fury earlier this month when he wrote that videos of mass prayer during a Ramadan event in Trafalgar Square was ‘straight out of the Islamist playbook’.\n\nDespite calls for him to be sacked, Tory leader Kemi Badenoch and Party Chairman Kevin Hollinrake both defended him.\n\nNow, **Metro** has uncovered that just weeks before the scandal, Hollinrake was the guest speaker at a ‘fantastic’ iftar gathering in Conservative Headquarters, during which the same call to prayer was made.\n\nThere was an Adhan – the Islamic call to prayer – at ‘Open iftar’ Ramadan dinner event at Trafalgar Square in London (Picture: EPA)\n\nThe revelations have placed more scrutiny on Badenoch’s ‘weak’ decision not to sack her key ally over his ‘abhorrent views’.\n\n##  Want to understand more about how politics affects your life?\n\nMetro's senior politics reporter Craig Munro breaks down all the chaos into easy to follow insight, in **Metro** 's politics newsletter Alright, Gov? Sent every Wednesday. Sign up here.\n\nSenior Conservative figures backed the shadow justice minister after he said the Adhan – or call to prayer – was ‘not welcome in our public places and shared institutions’.\n\nTimothy was referring to a video of an open iftar event which took place on March 16 in Trafalgar Square, which London Mayor Sadiq Khan attended.\n\nHowever, **Metro** understands the Adhan was also said during an annual Ramadan iftar hosted at Conservative head office (CCHQ) in late February.\n\nThe event, held by Conservative Friends of Turkey and the Conservative Muslim Forum, was attended by Hollinrake, as well as other senior London Tories and the Kartik Pandey, Deputy High Commissioner of India.\n\nThe evening was praised as ‘highlight[ing] importance of faith, family and the shared values that unite us across our communities.’\n\nCouncillor Dr Haq Nawaz, who attended, told **Metro** the event was ‘so inclusive’ and ‘fantastic’.\n\nThe discovery that CCHQ welcomed Muslims to an iftar event which included the Adhan has triggered renewed criticisms of Timothy’s comments and Badenoch’s refusal to sack him.\n\nKevin Hollinrake at the ‘inclusive’ iftar event weeks before he backed Nick Timothy’s controversial comments (Picture: Roy Miah)\n\nThe Labour Party said the Conservatives ‘have been exposed as rank hypocrites’.\n\nTheir statement added: ‘It confirms that Kemi Badenoch was simply too weak to sack her justice chief over his abhorrent views on Muslims.\n\n‘The Tories have joined Reform in pushing Tommy Robinson endorsed views on Muslims peacefully praying in London.’\n\nSabah Mehdi, one of Britain’s youngest Imams, told **Metro** the ‘positive iftar event clearly demonstrates that Muslims can be included, valued, and respected within public and political life in this country’.\n\nThe London-based faith leader added: ‘It therefore makes recent comments describing Muslim practices as an “act of domination” all the more disappointing and unjust.\n\n‘Portraying these peaceful acts as threatening risks creating division and misunderstanding, and can contribute to a climate where ordinary Muslims feel unfairly targeted.’\n\nResponding to a request for comment, the Conservative Party stressed that Timothy has explained ‘the issue is “the public sphere”.’\n\nNick Timothy has sparked accusations of Islamophobia after his X post (Picture: House of Commons/PA Wire)\n\nThe spokesperson continued: ‘An event held in CCHQ is not held in a public place, particularly not the most famous square in London, and therefore the two events are completely different.\n\n‘Anyone providing quotes clearly hasn’t understood (or read) Nick’s words.’\n\nTimothy’s post also said mass ritual prayer was ‘not welcome’ in ‘shared institutions’.\n\nHis boss, Badenoch, has insisted that Timothy was ‘defending British values’.\n\nHollinrake also said the Trafalgar Square open iftar gathering ‘was the wrong thing to do’ because it was an ‘exclusive event’, adding: ‘This wasn’t a performance, it was a prayer.’\n\nBut he stressed: ‘That’s not to say for any second, for a second, that we don’t support moderate Muslims observing their faith in mosques up and down the country.’\n\nThe Conservative chairman’s appearance at the CCHQ iftar in February was widely praised by guests.\n\nGuests praised Hollinrake’s attendance at the iftar event at CCHQ (Picture: @CFT_UK)\n\nThe shadow justice minister’s also wrote that the Adhan, the Islamic call to prayer, is ‘a declaration of domination’ when called in a public place because ‘it ‘declares there is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger’.\n\nHowever Cllr Nawaz, who was at the annual Ramadan gathering, said Timothy was mis-informed.\n\nThe Fenland District Council representative told **Metro** : ‘If he speaks to some scholars, rather than some imposters, he would find the worship in Ramadan is an act of complete humility and submission’.\n\nThe councillor, who is on the national executive for the Conservative Muslim Forum, said he’s ‘a little bit uncomfortable’ by the controversy.\n\nHe said there was ‘strong views’ among Conservative Muslims about what the shadow minister had said, with many having an ’emotional response’.\n\nThis has been echoed by former co-chair of the Conservatives Sayeeda Warsi.\n\nShe said Timothy’s post ‘makes British Muslims feel they are not welcome any more’ and was ‘electoral suicide’ for the party.\n\n******Get in touch with our news team by emailing us atwebnews@metro.co.uk.******\n\n**For more stories like this,** check our news page.\n\nComment now Comments \nAdd Metro as a Preferred Source on Google\nAdd as preferred source\n",
  "title": "Tories held a Muslim iftar event weeks before Nick Timothy’s ‘act of domination’ tweet"
}