{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "bskyPostRef": {
    "cid": "bafyreib7wdwcpw5fr52u3sfg25v3lpedhsnrjhoep4knnytrwhapnox6uu",
    "uri": "at://did:plc:b7afdzqsmwksxypciqnplglk/app.bsky.feed.post/3mgwjxumaqgi2"
  },
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreicpsiecvrpways75gz256gks2wzpc3fbavgi4la35sbh7g4ypx3wu"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 53106
  },
  "path": "/2026/03/13/us-refuelling-plane-crashes-iraq-mid-air-collision-27402153/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-03-13T07:54:48.000Z",
  "site": "https://metro.co.uk",
  "tags": [
    "News",
    "US",
    "Donald Trump",
    "Iran",
    "Iran war",
    "Iraq",
    "United States of America",
    "supports HTML5 video",
    "mistakenly downed",
    "Israel",
    "Saudi Arabia",
    "JD Vance",
    "**check our news page**",
    "Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source"
  ],
  "textContent": "To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video\n\nUp Next\n\nPrevious Page\n\nNext Page\n\n**AUS military plane has crashed following a suspected mid-air collision in Iraq, with a rescue mission underway to locate those on board.**\n\nTwo KC-135 aircraft were involved in ‘the incident’ which occurred ‘in friendly airspace during Operation Epic Fury’, US Central Command said.\n\nThe Islamic Resistance in Iraq had claimed ​responsibility for downing the US military refuelling plane ‘in defence of our country’s sovereignty and airspace’.\n\nBut Centcom said the ‘loss’ of the aircraft was not due to either hostile or friendly fire.\n\nA US Air Force KC-135 Stratotanker refuels a avy F/A-18F Super Hornet over the Middle East during Operation Epic Fury (Picture: US Central Command)\n\nA US Air Force KC-135 Stratotanker refueling tanker aircraft takes off from the Kadena Air Base (Picture: AP)\n\nThe KC-135 which crashed had at least five crew members on board. The other landed safely.\n\n‘More information will be made available as the situation develops,’ Central Command said.\n\n‘We ask for continued patience to gather additional details and provide clarity for the families of service members.’\n\nSmoke from a building in the center of Beirut, Lebanon, following an Israeli bombardment (Picture: Getty)\n\nA view of damaged residential buildings in central Tehran, Iran (Picture: EPA)\n\nAn Israeli emergency responder works at the site of an impact by an Iranian missile in northern Israel (Picture: Reuters)\n\nThe tanker is the fourth publicly acknowledged aircraft to crash as part of the US military’s operations against Iran.\n\nLast week, three American fighter jets were mistakenly downed by friendly Kuwaiti fire.\n\nAll six crew members safely ejected from the F-15E Strike Eagles and were said to be in a stable condition after being recovered.\n\nSeven American troops have been killed in combat during the Iran war so far, while about 140 service members have been injured, including eight severely, the Pentagon said earlier this week.\n\nBoth President Donald Trump and Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth have warned that the Iran war would likely claim more American lives before it ends.\n\nUS President Donald Trump salutes during a dignified transfer at Dover Air Force Base, in Dover, Delaware (Picture: AFP via Getty)\n\nSix of the fallen service members were killed when an Iranian drone struck an operations centre at a civilian port in Kuwait. They were in the Army Reserve and worked in logistics, keeping troops supplied with food and equipment.\n\nThey died one day after the US and Israel launched the military campaign against Iran on February 28.\n\nThe Islamic Republic has retaliated with missiles and drones against Israel and several Gulf Arab states that host US armed forces.\n\nThe seventh American service member died after being wounded during a March 1 attack on the Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia.\n\nTrump joined grieving families for a dignified transfer at Dover Air Force Base when the remains of the first six soldiers were returned to the United States.\n\nVice President JD Vance, Hegseth and others saluted the seventh flag-draped transfer case as it arrived this week at Dover.\n\n******Get in touch with our news team by emailing us atwebnews@metro.co.uk.******\n\n**For more stories like this,****check our news page**.\n\nComment now Comments  Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source ",
  "title": "US refuelling plane crashes in Iraq after mid-air collision"
}