{
  "$type": "site.standard.document",
  "coverImage": {
    "$type": "blob",
    "ref": {
      "$link": "bafkreicsilwsxnyh6gfhzhv7ufqtdulgribqjvae7ffniprr5dnvwlpery"
    },
    "mimeType": "image/jpeg",
    "size": 60934
  },
  "path": "/2026/02/05/manchester-city-receive-response-marc-guehi-rule-change-request-ahead-carabao-cup-final-26721941/",
  "publishedAt": "2026-02-05T11:39:01.000Z",
  "site": "https://metro.co.uk",
  "tags": [
    "Football",
    "Sport",
    "Arsenal",
    "Carabao Cup",
    "Manchester City FC",
    "Marc Guehi",
    "Manchester City",
    "Pep Guardiola said the club would seek permission",
    "Wembley",
    "Newcastle",
    "EFL",
    "Crystal Palace",
    "Sign up here",
    "supports HTML5 video",
    "Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source"
  ],
  "textContent": "Pep Guardiola is desperate for March Guehi to play in the Carabao Cup final (Picture: Getty)\n\nMarc Guehi will not be allowed to play in the Carabao Cup final for Manchester City.\n\nCity manager Pep Guardiola said the club would seek permission for him to feature at Wembley on March 22 after they booked their final place by completing a 5-1 aggregate win over Newcastle in the semi-final on Wednesday night.\n\nHowever, it is understood there will be no change in the rule by the EFL to enable Guehi to play.\n\nThe England defender completed his move to City from Crystal Palace on January 19, six days after the semi-final first leg. Rule 6.4.2 allows players to play for more than one club in the competition, but only if signed before the end of the winter transfer window or the first leg of the semi, whichever is sooner.\n\nThat rule was itself new for this season, and meant Antoine Semenyo was able to play – and score – for City in the first leg at St James’ Park after signing from Bournemouth.\n\nMax Alleyne – who featured in the competition on loan for Watford earlier in the season before being recalled by City – was also able to play.\n\nGuardiola said on Wednesday regarding Guehi: ‘Why should he not play? Why not? He’s our player, we pay his salary, we hired him…\n\n##  Get your football fix\n\nDon't want to miss the week's biggest football stories? **Metro's** exclusive football newsletter, In The Mixer, is your essential guide.\n\nFrom the latest transfer rumours and managerial moves to analysis of the biggest games and a lot more, our experts have you covered.\n\nSign up here, it's an open goal.\n\nTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video\n\nUp Next\n\nPrevious Page\n\nNext Page\n\n‘We want to ask. I said to the club we have to ask definitely. I don’t understand the reason why he cannot play in the final of the Carabao Cup in March when he has been here a long time…\n\n‘Of course we are going to ask because it’s pure logic. (But) to change the rule, no way. But we will try.’\n\nTijjani Reijnders, meanwhile, believes Manchester City’s margin for error has gone as they prepare for Sunday’s trip to Liverpool.\n\nCity trail Premier League leaders Arsenal by six points and, after dropping points in five of their last six games, know they can no longer afford mistakes.\n\nMarc Guehi joined Man City from Crystal Palace in January (Picture: Getty)\n\nThey will at least travel in good spirits after securing their place in the Carabao Cup final by completing a 5-1 aggregate victory over Newcastle on Wednesday.\n\nGuardiola’s side will come up against a Liverpool outfit who, despite a disappointing title defence, are firmly in contention for Champions League qualification.\n\nMidfielder Reijnders said: ‘For sure it will be a big match and we have to be ready and show what we can do. We can’t afford any more slip-ups. We want to win every game and this game won’t be different for us.’\n\nTijjani Reijnders scored against Newcastle and now his sights set on Liverpool (Picture: Getty)\n\nCity eased past Newcastle at the Etihad Stadium, winning the second leg 3-1 with two goals from Omar Marmoush and one from the impressive Reijnders.\n\nAll three goals came in the first half and, although Anthony Elanga pulled one back as City again slackened off after the break, they had done more than enough on this occasion.\n\nThey will now face title rivals Arsenal in the final at Wembley next month.\n\nReijnders said: ‘It’s a step closer to the trophy and we are very hungry. It would be nice for me, personally, to win my first trophy here at Manchester City. It’s amazing.’\n\nComment now Comments  Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source ",
  "title": "Manchester City receive response to Marc Guehi rule change request ahead of Carabao Cup final"
}